Breaking News
  • The Jet Express is looking for reporters and photographers for the 2024-25 school year. Contact Mr. Krauss or Mrs. Ruoff if you are interested.
The Student News Site of Woodland Middle School

The Jet Express

The Jet Express

The Jet Express

The History of Thanksgiving

The First Thanksgiving by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, 1912.

Thanksgiving is the holiday that brings families close together and it is a day to be thankful for what we have. However, not a lot of people know its history. Thanksgiving dates back to November 1621. Many years ago, Pilgrims sailed on the Mayflower seeking religious freedom in a new world. They faced many difficulties such as harsh, cold weather and illnesses. Forty-five of  the 102 Mayflower passengers died between the years 1620 and 1621. The Pilgrims met the natives of the land they had settled on. The Wampanoag taught the Pilgrims how to plant corn and where to fish and hunt. That following year was their first harvest. The Pilgrims and Native Americans held a huge feast. The Pilgrims helped by providing the harvest they had grown while the Native Americans provided venison from deer they had hunted. They gave thanks for freedom and other blessings that they found in America. This is a story of how Thanksgiving came to be and how the Native Americans helped the Pilgrims survive the harsh winter. So,
when you’re having your Thanksgiving meal you’ll know why we celebrate this holiday and why we give thanks for what we have.