Breaking News
  • The Jet Express is looking for reporters and photographers for the 2024-25 school year. Contact Mr. Krauss or Mrs. Ruoff if you are interested.
The Student News Site of Woodland Middle School

The Jet Express

The Jet Express

The Jet Express

Ban the Rainbow

California to ban this popular candy. Is New York next?

We all know and love Skittles, the colorful rainbow candy. However, there is a secret that has been exposed. Did you know that it has ingredients that may be harmful? Scientists discovered that the popular candy contains Red Dye #3, brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, and propylparaben. These ingredients may be harmful to you.  So why did they not ban Skittles?
     Red Dye No. 3 has something in it that may cause cancer in animals.  Brominated vegetable oil also has negative health effects on humans. Potassium bromate is banned in Brazil, the UK and Canada.  It’s a cancer-causing chemical, which may also be in your bread.  Propylparaben also  may cause cancer and other serious health effects. Violators could be penalized up to $5,000 for an initial violation and as much as $10,000 for each subsequent violation of the bill’s provisions.
     Red Dye No. 3 is  banned in cosmetics, but why not food?  By 2027, these ingredients will no longer be allowed in food. California Governor Gavin Newsome recently signed a law that will ban this ingredient from his state. So for now, you should always check the listed ingredients in candies.